Metall. Res. Technol.
Volume 117, Number 1, 2020
|Number of page(s)||11|
|Published online||26 February 2020|
Modeling of slag foaming height of electric arc furnace using stepwise regression analysis
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei University, 50, Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu,
03722, South Korea
2 Dongkuk Steel R&D Center, 70, Geonposaneop-ro 3214beon-gil, Daesong-Myun Nam-Gu, Pohang 37874, South Korea
* e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted: 30 January 2020
Slag foaming directly affects the productivity and quality of steel during the electric arc furnace (EAF) process. Therefore, the slag foaming height needs to be monitored in real-time. However, direct measurement of the slag foaming height is difficult to achieve because the inside of the EAF consists of harsh environments, i.e., high temperature and the presence of gas and dust. A stepwise regression model of the slag foaming height was created using sensor data from the EAF. A total of 272 operational data sets from the EAF process were used to develop and validate the regression model. This data came from 140ton DC-EAF of Dongkuk Steel in Pohang, Korea. We randomly selected 80% of the data for developing the regression model; the remaining 20% of data were used for model validation. The model was validated using the validation benchmark coefficient of determination (R2) and correlation coefficients. As a result, the important variables of slag foaming were statistically selected a priori. Using the regression model, the slag foaming height can be predicted without additional sensors. Based on the developed model, the effects of oxygen injection and carbon injection on the slag foaming height of EAF were predicted and are discussed herein.
Key words: electric arc furnace / slag foaming / stepwise regression analysis / modeling
© EDP Sciences, 2020
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.